Author Topic: Bad EVO  (Read 675 times)

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
Bad EVO
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:54:56 AM »
Friend brought me a 1998 Springier softail. Wouldn't start, no fire. Checked coil, both terminals were got, so thought coil was shorted. Bought a new one, same thing. Nose cone has rivets, so never been into, sit for 15 minutes, and it will start, but pops and backfires when I try to rev it up, then dies. If I try to restart, either no spark, or it sounds like timing is advanced and it kicks back. Help. Thanks
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Offline Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • "No good dead goes unpunished"
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
Re: Bad EVO
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
has it been sitting?
good gas? plugs fouled? carb gunked up? coil good?  :idunno:

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Similar symptoms to a bad head temp sensor. They are a frequent problem in that vintage evo.
KD

Offline Pete_Vit

• Site Supporter
  • "No good dead goes unpunished"
    • Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
Similar symptoms to a bad head temp sensor. They are a frequent problem in that vintage evo.
on a 98?  I didn't think temp sensors were being used till the Twinkie years from 99 I guess I should also ask if it is carbed  :unsure:

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »
has it been sitting?
good gas? plugs fouled? carb gunked up? coil good?  :idunno:
Carbed cleaned, it was clean, checked the diaphragm,and pump  both good, plugs new, and not fouled. bike has been running most every day for last two years, never sits over 3 days. Ran great the day before, and started this stuff the next day.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Offline Wicked

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
Pop out them rivets. Might be a puddle of melted pick-up sensor at the bottom.  Quite common ....  If needed, replace with stock for best bang for your $$.

Offline Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers

• Premium Vendor
  • www.RockerLockers.com
    • Rocker Lockers
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
Pop out them rivets. Might be a puddle of melted pick-up sensor at the bottom.  Quite common ....  If needed, replace with stock for best bang for your $$.
Yep, sounds like a bad cam position sensor. They get fried in that nose cone.
www.Rockerlockers.com
Call for dealer discount

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »
Thanks all. It was the pick up sensor, it was melted, and smelled burnt. I talked him into letting me install a points set up. I always used to do it on my old Shovels,and EVO's, as soon as I bought them, alwasy had good luck with them. I am old school....LOL
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:58:54 PM by Tynker »
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Offline Wicked

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 05:43:14 AM »
Points will work....  :wink: .....    However, a new sensor should have been cheaper/easier install, and the original lasted 19 years with no yearly maintenance.....     But you got him working!!  :up: 

Online Hossamania

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
Changed from electronics back to age old points. Um, ok. Does he understand how to service them?
I agree with Wicked, 19 years, never touched. Now points will, or should, be looked at at least once a year. I don't see the advantage, except for maybe a roadside repair in the future, which has not been needed for 19 years.
Fat people are hard to kidnap.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
A 98 uses a 3 ohm coil which will quickly burn the points.

When you install points you should also install a points coil (5 ohms).

You should also reduce the spark plug gap to .035
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Points will work....  :wink: .....    However, a new sensor should have been cheaper/easier install, and the original lasted 19 years with no yearly maintenance.....     But you got him working!!  :up:
I paid $36.00 for the whole setup , so not cheaper, but it won't leave him on the side of the road.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »

I paid $36.00 for the whole setup , so not cheaper, but it won't leave him on the side of the road.

Any type ignition component can leave you on the side of the road, especially points and condensor.

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
It's getting harder to find points and condensers at the auto supplier. (6 cylinder chev has not been around for a while and Harley doesn't supply parts that far back)
KD

Offline hbkeith

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 02:50:47 AM »
Changed from electronics back to age old points. Um, ok. Does he understand how to service them?
I agree with Wicked, 19 years, never touched. Now points will, or should, be looked at at least once a year. I don't see the advantage, except for maybe a roadside repair in the future, which has not been needed for 19 years.
      , once a year will be real lucky

Offline Julio

• Baked, not fried
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 06:06:58 AM »
Points and condensers are still readily available. I bought a set last week from my small town NAPA for $24.00 and they were on the shelf. J&P and Dennis Kirk carry them, also. Do a search on EBay and Amazon and you get hundreds of hits.

As far as roadside repairs, I carry an extra set in my toolbags. If I have to, I can throw in a condenser, which is more likely to fail than the points, in about 5 minutes on the roadside. Installing points would be about the same time. Never met anyone who carried an extra electronic trigger.

Just because the cone had the ribets in it doesn't mean it was the 19 year old factory unit. You can buy a ribet gun at WalMart.
Just saying.

Dyna S or points?
Six to one, half a dozen to another.
Use whatever you feel more comfortable with.

J

Offline Ironheadmike

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 04:26:49 AM »
Just because there are rivets doesn't mean it hasn't been into . I use Harley rivets on the nose cone all the time . Make sure if you use points to get a 5 ohm coil . For $175 you can get a complete single fire ignition system which is a much better system than points . Why put a band aid on it just to have to keep messing with it later . Set it and forget it .

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 04:44:49 AM »
I have a 5 OHM coil, thanks. I always hated electronic ign, and preferred points. Like I said, I am old school at 73.  I do all the maintenance on all my friends bikes, so it will be checked at all oil changes. Thanks
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Offline thumper 823

• If they say cant, it just means someone else will
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
Old school stuff -Points and condenser is simple and can be fixed on the side of the road.
I would at least carry a spare condenser.
I run Twin Tech, and in the past carry a whole plug and play points condenser backing plate and advance system with coil on long trips in case the Twin Tech failed.
I think no matter what you ride one has to understand the systems involved.
Without spark and fuel your not going anywhere and, if you are in the middle of nowhere you ought to have a way to make it happen.
Yes, I am old school, I know modern Fi makes for nice even AFR numbers But I have not ever had a carb let me dwn .
I have had to take one apart on the side of the road for a float problem, but I got home.
 I don't like walking.
I see the new stuff fail and get flat bedded to the shop.
I guess that is all well and good, but a motel room and a wait for them to get around to fixing it is not my idea of a fun ride.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 , 162AHC, Mekong delta.
Amature engineering  with bad math .

Online Tynker

• Ride now, rest later
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
 :agree: :koolaid:
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Online tmwmoose

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »
Man I can't get over the title on this one I keep humming the "Cops" tune bad evo bad evo whatcha gonna do when they come for you da da da