April 30, 2024, 05:10:53 PM

News:

Clutch not disengaging

Started by Reindeer, May 20, 2013, 07:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reindeer

Bike is a 2009 Dyna. Just finished rebuilding the motor. Also installed a new clutch cable, a Barnett clutch spring, and a Burly EZ clutch kit to attempt to balance out the heavier spring. I adjusted the pushrod at the clutch and the clutch cable according to the service manual and a YouTube vid which seemed simple enough. I double checked it by putting the bike in gear and pulling the lever back. I can physically see the clutch moving (I have the primary cover off) but I can't roll the bike in gear with the clutch released. I tried tightening the cable but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Coyote

Are the clutch plates dry or did you soak them in oil before assembly?

Reindeer

I did not replace the clutch plates, just changed the pressure spring. I do have the primary cover off, so there's no fluid on the clutch, but its wet from previous use.

I'm thinking that the problem has to be with the balls/ramps/EZ clutch or something under the exhaust side cover. The clutch cable installation and the spring installation were way to simple to screw up, and I can physically see them. Pulling the lever feels fairly normal and I can see from the clutch side that it is moving, but maybe its not moving enough to release. Not sure what I could have done wrong. Pretty sure I put it together the right way, balls seated in ramps and snap ring installed. Doesn't seem like much to screw up. I'm thinking I'll pull the cover off and if I don't see anything wrong put it back together without the EZ clutch.

Coyote

If you are getting the correct throw then I'd bet they are just sticking.

Reindeer

Quote from: Coyote on May 20, 2013, 08:11:24 AM
If you are getting the correct throw then I'd bet they are just sticking.

That is a possibility. I'm just afraid of firing it up, putting it in gear, and launching into the back of the garage. Is there a way to measure what the throw should be at the clutch?

Ohio HD

Yes, a dial indicator is the best way. You need to have around 0.060" travel, measured at the adjuster screw. When my bikes are not running, even after just riding them, they are not easy to push in gear. I bet coyote is right, they're just stuck from sitting. Why not just pule the plates out, stick them back in, then try again. Then you know if they're stuck.

Almost all bikes will give a clunk when going into gear after siting all night. The oil is cold, and the clutch plates get a little bit stuck.

Reindeer

I'll measure the travel to reassure myself. It hasn't been started since November, so they're probably just stuck together. Didn't consider that.

BUBBIE

:idea:

I Have had a similar problem STICKING... I Started my bike and let the oil move a bit then:  Motor off,   I put it in second gear and Rocked it with clutched Pulled in. Yes it may Not disengage right off but constant bumping forward and back should dislodge the sticking plates.

IF you have the separation/throw distance like stated above ???

Careful that the plates went back the same order and direction, No switching?

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

bigfoot5x

. I can physically see the clutch moving (I have the primary cover off) but I can't roll the bike in gear with the clutch released. I tried tig

OK, are you saying that with the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled you cannot roll the bike? I'm not sure I can roll mine in that scenario. The bike is heavy enough to roll around without trying to do it in gear. Disconnect the pug wires or pull the plugs and try turning over the engine in gear with the clutch lever pulled. The most the bike can do then is jump forward a little since it cannot start.

Admiral Akbar

Doubt you see 0.060 movement at the plate..
Max

Ohio HD

I have 0.063" at the plate on my SG. Barnett recommends 0.060" to 0.070" if my memory serves.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio HD

I mean, if it were truly stuck, at idle with the brakes on, putting it in gear will only stall the motor. But better to clear any issues before closing the primary up.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2013, 09:37:11 AM
I have 0.063" at the plate on my SG. Barnett recommends 0.060" to 0.070" if my memory serves.

Brian

Do you have late model ramps and an easyboy?

Max

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 20, 2013, 10:40:57 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2013, 09:37:11 AM

Brian

Do you have late model ramps and an easyboy?

Max

I have late ramps, it's a 2008. No easy boy, they reduce clutch travel....    :teeth:

Why Barnett recommended that to me once, was they believe that less than that, and you will get clutch drag, and or hard shifting. The 0.063" I see is with a completely stock actuator, stock clutch lever, etc.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2013, 10:46:16 AM

I have late ramps, it's a 2008. No easy boy, they reduce clutch travel....    :teeth:

That's why Reindeer ain't gonna get 0.060..   I got 0.082 on my 07 with late ramps and not other mods... Easy boy will cut travel by roughly 33%.

Max

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 20, 2013, 11:01:31 AM

That's why Reindeer ain't gonna get 0.060..   I got 0.082 on my 07 with late ramps and not other mods... Easy boy will cut travel by roughly 33%.

Max

I'm sure it'll cut it by some amount. My only point to reindeer was, you need to see about 0.060" for good clutch operation.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2013, 11:04:33 AM

Max

I'm sure it'll cut it by some amount. My only point to reindeer was, you need to see about 0.060" for good clutch operation.

For a bandit clutch..

Max

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 20, 2013, 11:10:48 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2013, 11:04:33 AM

Max

For a bandit clutch..

Max

bandit clutch? reindeer has a stock clutch, with a Barnett heavier spring. Barnett had told me 0.060" to 0.070" is what they like to see with a TC HD clutch setup, regardless of whose plates.

Admiral Akbar

Fine.. Just wanted to make sure the specified clutch was correct..
Max

Devo

pull the plugs drop it in gear and hit the starter

ICANTD55

Burly EZ clutch kit

Are you at the end of your adjustment in your cable? If so you may need a spacer at the tranny. I think Max has a pic of one. Just be careful not to over draw with the spacer you will lose your Balls.

When I switched ramps for 03 to 06 I needed to make up some slack.
RICK , MA

Ohio HD

Speaking of clutch travel, does either the 18 or 21 degree ball / ramp assemblies give more clutch rod travel than the other? I realize they give different pull pressures at the lever.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 21, 2013, 11:09:08 AM
Speaking of clutch travel, does either the 18 or 21 degree ball / ramp assemblies give more clutch rod travel than the other? I realize they give different pull pressures at the lever.

Yes

Max

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on May 21, 2013, 12:14:17 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 21, 2013, 11:09:08 AM

Yes

Max

ha, ha, ha,   and.....      :fish:

I guess the 18 degree will travel more? They are the earlier units?

Ohio HD

OK, so I have it backwards, the 21 degree will increase lever pressure, and will then travel more. So how much more will the 21 degree give over the 18 degree?

Come on Max, you know you want to tell me....      :smile: