April 30, 2024, 05:25:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ez pull clutch

Started by dmorris, November 29, 2012, 05:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmorris

Does harley make the 21 deg ball ramp for my 89 heritage softail and if they do where is the best place to get it from online

FSG

Yes, the cheapest is from the MoCo, cant give you P/N's as I'm away from home, but the change from 21 deg to 18 deg occurred in 2006 so anything pre '06 will be 21 deg, except '90 which was 15 deg and a PITA.

tiny46EL

I have Arthritis in my hands, and after installing a Barnett extra plate clutch kit on my 1995 Flhtp, I had a hard time disengaging the clutch. I already had an easy clutch installed, but Barnett said it would not work properly with this kit. I found an AMP power clutch helper on Ebay for $60.00. It installs to the under side of the clutch lever control. You don't have to remove the trans cover either. It works good enough for me.

ScottFree

Quote from: FSG on November 30, 2012, 05:16:41 AM
Yes, the cheapest is from the MoCo, cant give you P/N's as I'm away from home, but the change from 21 deg to 18 deg occurred in 2006 so anything pre '06 will be 21 deg, except '90 which was 15 deg and a PITA.
Having owned a couple '90s, I'm a bit confused by this. As I understood it, the '90s came from the factory with 15 degree ramps, but the MoCo immediately ordered a retrofit to an 18 degree ramp with a -88 part number. My first '90, purchased in June, already had the retrofit done when I picked it up (I know this because in addition to the 18 degree ramp it had the word "UPDATE" scratched on the inside of the trans cover). My second '90, purchased used in '06, still had the 15 degree ramp until I smoked everything in the release mechanism (thanks to getting Sportster and Big Twin adjustment specs confused :emsad:) and replaced it with the 18 degree part.

But here's the thing: my understanding is that the 15 degree ramp was introduced in '90 in an attempt to reduce clutch pull effort. Trouble was, with such a shallow ramp the push rod couldn't move far enough to give you both a full release with a cold engine and a full engagement with a hot engine.  And indeed, when I retrofitted the 18 degree ramp I immediately found two things: the clutch was a little harder to pull in, but it was also a lot easier to get properly adjusted--no more having to choose between slipping when hot or dragging when cold.

So, unless something else changed (diameter of the ramp assembly? bell crank length? spring characteristics?), it would at least seem that the 21 degree ramp would be an even harder pull than the 18 degree ramp.

What am I missing here?

Tomo

Hope someone can answer this, I too need to know what came first, Chicken ( 18 ) or Egg ( 21)  If the 18 degree ramp has an -88 part No. Surely that was first ?

So if the drop to 15 degree was no good and they went back to 18. Where did 21 come from and how does that help ?

The No.s I have for '95/ '96 are 25452-87A & 25453-87A Inner and outer ramps.

Also where the hell is the degree sign on my keyboard ?   :embarrassed:
Man who uses dick for compass, very often loses way.

nibroc

BluHarley

That's the percent character, I don't think standard keyboards have the degree symbol, the little raised zero.

FSG

The chicken came first.   :teeth:

Evo
First released in 1987
outer ramp 25453-87   18 Degs
inner ramp 25452-87A 18 Degs

used in 1990
outer ramp 25453-90   15 Degs
inner ramp 25452-90   15 Degs

Last used in the 1999's
outer ramp 25453-87A 18 Degs
inner ramp 25452-87A 18 Degs

TC 
First released in 2000

outer ramp 25605-00   21 Degs
inner ramp 25604-00   21 Degs

released in 2006 part of HD's Reduced Effort Clutch Kit

outer ramp 25605-00A 18 Degs
inner ramp 25604-00A 18 Degs

Tomo

Thank you FSG for the answer to that age old question !
Man who uses dick for compass, very often loses way.

FSG

Have a read of Service Bulletin M-0991 , 1340 Clutch Information for 1990 Models

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,36325.msg376071.html#msg376071

Old Crow

Quote from: BluHarley on December 09, 2012, 07:04:36 PM
That's the percent character, I don't think standard keyboards have the degree symbol, the little raised zero.

Lets see.  90°     

Move the blinking text cursor to the place where you want to insert the degree symbol.
Make sure that the "Num Lock" function is turned on. This button can be found on the top left corner of the numeric keypad.
Press and hold "Alt."
Use the numeric keypad to type "0176." The degree symbol will appear.

With laptops you have to use the number keys embedded in the qwerty keyboard, not the ones across the top and it's M7JO(that's "oh", not zero).

You're welcome  :potstir:

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

BluHarley

I'll be damned!  Thanks Crow!  I was in software engineering for 10 years plus school, and I never knew that!  Excellent!! ° !!!

Old Crow

No prob.  Should perhaps have typed 45°. 
In the past, I've been accused of being a half-bubble off plumb.

BluHarley

"in the past" Crow?  So you're all better now?  :scratch:

FSG

Num Lock - Alt  -  Numeric keypad  can be used to enter any ASCII Code you fancy.  À..... Þ

http://www.ascii-code.com/

BluHarley

I forgot ascii codes after the test, never used them after.  That was a while ago  :idunno:  And I already forgot this one, have to scroll up for a reminder!

Old Crow

Quote from: BluHarley on December 10, 2012, 07:48:22 AM
"in the past" Crow?  So you're all better now?  :scratch:

Not sure.  The voices have been quiet for a while now.