May 01, 2024, 05:28:33 AM

News:

clutch Advice

Started by Hilly13, June 20, 2011, 02:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilly13

Did a search but didn't find what I was after.
My 97"  06 dyna was slipping the clutch at hard acceleration in the upper revs, fitted the SE spring plate which fixed that but the lever pull is a bit on the heavy side.
The clutch is adjusted properly, did it both by the Hippo and manual methods, the cable is lubed and free.
Looking for a lighter lever pull without sacrificing disengagement travel or lock up, real world options and opinions sort.
Thanks in advance.
Hilly.
Just because its said don't make it so

Mix01FLHT

Stock plate with a VPC unit.

:pop:
Mix
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

dmrdn

Problem with a VPC is the lever pressure still increases with the revs so you still have the problem once you are under way.

Do s Google search on the Mueller Power Clutch.  Same as the old Easy Pull.  New cam and lever in the transmission side of the house.

phatbob

HogBag

I have a AIM VPC 82t with the SE spring. Clutch pull is as light as stock with the motor under 3500 rpm but it does get heavy above 3800. No big deal for me as I cruise most of the time using torque rather than HP.  When I pull the trigger I don't mind the heavy pull because I know it's locking up the clutch when it's needed.

Mix01FLHT

Quote from: phatbob on June 20, 2011, 03:47:15 PM
Go hydraulic.

phatbob?  you running hydraulic?  How do you like it?

Mix
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

Hilly13

Thanks for the input fella's, appreciate it.
Hilly.

FSG

Are VPC tougher to pull at high RPM, yes they are BUT only slight lever movement is required to effect a clean gear change, it's not as though the lever needs to be fully operated at the same high RPM, and them when at slow speed/idle the clutch lever is very light.

Anything that increases the ramp lever length will reduce clutch pushrod travel unless you go the muller route that has a slightly longer lever and the reduced the PCD of the ramps to compensate for that and the angle.  I have both a VPC & a modified Muller to take a better (larger) throwout bearing.

Missing are the 15deg ramps from 1990, I don't miss those one bit.   :teeth:

Hilly13

Quote from: FSG on June 20, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
Are VPC tougher to pull at high RPM, yes they are BUT only slight lever movement is required to effect a clean gear change, it's not as though the lever needs to be fully operated at the same high RPM, and them when at slow speed/idle the clutch lever is very light.

Anything that increases the ramp lever length will reduce clutch pushrod travel unless you go the muller route that has a slightly longer lever and the reduced the PCD of the ramps to compensate for that and the angle.  I have both a VPC & a modified Muller to take a better (larger) throwout bearing.

Missing are the 15deg ramps from 1990, I don't miss those one bit.   :teeth:

FSG, care to flesh that out a tad more?

FSG

June 21, 2011, 03:48:55 AM #9 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:16:44 PM by FSG
Quotecare to flesh that out a tad more?

With regard to ..... ?   Mullers are worth a few $$$ as are the VPC's.  I've a spare VP83T here if you like to try a VPC out, install doesn't take long.

Pix of VPC's are in this thread http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,26356.msg268723.html#msg268723

Hilly13

modified Muller to take a better (larger) throwout bearing

:embarrassed: that was the bit I ment.. Thanks for the VPC offer mate, appreciate it.
The VP83T would be the right animal for my build...yes?

The Muller interests me as well, is it much more finicky to adjust than than the HD-RE?

phatbob

June 21, 2011, 06:53:51 AM #11 Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:13:03 PM by phatbob

[/quote]
Quote from: Mix01FLHT on June 20, 2011, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: phatbob on June 20, 2011, 03:47:15 PM
Go hydraulic.

phatbob?  you running hydraulic?  How do you like it?

Mix
It works very good, smooth pull and very little effort when clutch is pulled in. I am running a screaming eagle clutch pack with a screaming eagle spring. If you convert over do not use the screaming eagle clutch cover, if you do it uses a solid rod from the clutch cover over to the clutch and you can't adjust the clutch. I went with a Pro One clutch cover and a Baker throw out bearing. If you have     1 1/4" bars you will have to use the master cylinder for the fat bars unless you have the tapered bars.

Hilly13

Borrowed now buying FSG's VP83T, with the SE spring plate in, the VPC reduced the pull to about stock, didnt take any measurements or such like but it works as they say it will.

The whole primary shebang is quieter now as well, maybe not related, welcome all the same.

Cheers FSG.