May 01, 2024, 01:30:37 AM

News:

old vs. new clutch ramps

Started by dynaglide, May 02, 2011, 12:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynaglide

Is there a difference in how the clutch engages between the early TC 21 degree ramps and the Evo 15 degree ramps?

machinist

no, the dif is in the amount of disengage
"it was a black bike officer"

FSG

Changing the ramp angle changes the " pushrod travel / clutch plate separation / amount of disengagement " for the same amount of " inner ramp rotation / lever pull ".  Which is why the " easy-boy / pussy-clutch " adapters which lengthen the " inner ramp arm " making operation easier also reduce the " pushrod travel / .......... " so you need your adjustment to be spot on.

Notes: The above is for BT's, if it's a Sporty then it would be the " outer ramp ".  15 deg ramps were only used for a few years (1990's), most used the 18 deg ramps.

dynaglide

it's a '01 Wide Glide.  So the steeper the ramp angle, the more the pushrod travel, the greater the clutch plate separation when the lever is pulled?  And does the ramp angle also increase/reduce the amount of "friction zone" in the clutch? Or does that stay constant?

harleytoprock

I find that with the steep ramps the clutch is a little grabbier. In other words with the steep ramps the clutch is more either engaged or disengaged with less slippage in between. The steeper ramps also require more hand strength.

Tollbooth

I like to use the SE clutch and pressure plate with the Hd easy clutch ramps, then add the Burley lite clutch arm extender. It makes fer a tough clutch that is easy as melted butter to pull. We call it the easy, easy tough clutch. Keep the cable adjusted out there and it works fine and lasts.
TB

Ken R

The absoutely best I've used is the Mueller Power Clutch ramp set.  The ramps/balls are nearer the centerline of the pushrod; makes for much easier lever actuation and a much wider friction zone. 

Ken

phatbob

Go hydraulic and forget about it. Do yourself a favor and do not use the Screaming Eagle set up. Does not allow you to adjust the clutch!

FSG

May 02, 2011, 09:43:42 PM #8 Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:29:01 AM by FSG
QuoteThe absoutely best I've used is the Mueller Power Clutch ramp set.  The ramps/balls are nearer the centerline of the pushrod; makes for much easier lever actuation and a much wider friction zone. 
:up: 

The pic below is of the Sporty Ramps, the BT Ramps have the cable hookup round the other way.

acbacb

I put the MRC ramps in on my build and they are similar to the Mueller ramps. It is starting to slip a bit and I think it needs to be adjusted again. My builder told me it would need to be adjusted after a while. I think it's time. He said it doesn't adjust like a regular stock clutch. I'm not too good of a wrench. I hope my Indy can get it right.

I hope this is all it needs. Any words of wisdom for this problem?
2012 FLHX Street Glide

Ken R

Quote from: acbacb on May 04, 2011, 07:20:50 PM
I put the MRC ramps in on my build and they are similar to the Mueller ramps. It is starting to slip a bit and I think it needs to be adjusted again. My builder told me it would need to be adjusted after a while. I think it's time. He said it doesn't adjust like a regular stock clutch. I'm not too good of a wrench. I hope my Indy can get it right.

I hope this is all it needs. Any words of wisdom for this problem?

I can't imagine why they'd adjust differently.  I think that the object is to get clearance for the throw-out bearing that will be good for hot or cold engine.  That works out to about 3/4 turn off touching the throw-out. 

Ken