April 30, 2024, 10:36:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker throw out bearing, oil slinger removal

Started by Nastytls, September 09, 2017, 06:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastytls

09' dyna. I've got the baker heavy dutythrow out bearing and the instructions call for removal of the oil slinger on the pushrod shaft. I cannot figure out how to get that off. I'm sure that I'm missing something simple, but I do t see a clip or anything holding it on there. Is it press fit? How does it come off the shaft?

FSG

slide the long end into a piece of small diameter pipe, let the inside face of the slinger sit against the opening of the pipe, hit the small end with a plastic hammer and drive the shaft out of the slinger, it wont take much effort

Nastytls

klammer76

FWIW, I ran my baker heavy duty throw out with the slinger with no issues in my 2002 5 speed. Have a SE 6 speed now and am thinking about reinstalling the slinger in that set up this winter.

Nastytls

How would you install the circlip with the slinger still on? No free space on mine.

klammer76

Have to bend the fingers up slightly. I'll see if I still have a picture.

klammer76

September 11, 2017, 06:49:18 PM #6 Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:53:31 PM by klammer76
Baker heavy duty throw out bearing with oil slinger.

Nastytls

Interesting. I wouldn't have though it would fit. Wonder why Baker doesn't recommend this, I'd think that having it there can only be a benefit.

klammer76

Quote from: Nastytls on September 12, 2017, 03:46:30 PM
Interesting. I wouldn't have though it would fit. Wonder why Baker doesn't recommend this, I'd think that having it there can only be a benefit.
Agreed. I figured HD had it there for a reason for years. FSG runs the Baker with a slinger also as I recall. He is the one that gave me the tip about bending the ears up slightly. I had no issues with mine.

FSG

Baker recommend removing the slinger, they say it isn't necessary, which is actually true, but I prefer having it in there, also with some of the Baker products their trapdoor and side cover for example there is no room for the slinger, don't quote me as I'll have to revisit my notes but there is something they have where the slinger has to be removed.